- Choose from one of the following Government assistance programs:
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program -Food Stamps (SNAP)
WIC – Women, Infants, & Child (WIC) program
WIC Fact Sheet
Free School Lunch program
Social Security: http://www.ssa.gov/
Head Start: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ohs
The State Children’s Health Insurance Program, (SCHIP) http://www.schip-info.org/
Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC): www.irs.gov/Credits-&-Deductions/Individuals/Earned-Income-Tax-Credit
Discuss and summarize the following for the program you chose (make sure to CITE the research you gathered on your chosen program)
- The background and history of the program
- The population it addresses
- Requirements to qualify for the assistance
- Pros and cons of the program.
- 2a. Please read the following article by Rector and Shefied (2011) and watch TED talk video
Air Conditioning, Cable TV, and an Xbox: What is Poverty in the United States Today?
watch Poverty isn’t a lack of character; it’s a lack of cash. TED Talk. (Bregman, 2017)
2b. How can the poor be poor if they own luxury items like TV and AC?
2c. Does owning such items disqualify them from being considered as living in poverty?
Make sure to integrate the Heritage article and TED talk – also tie in Iceland’s concept of relative poverty as comparative economic deprivation when he says, “It is based on the notion that poverty is relative to a society’s existing level of economic, social, and cultural development” (Iceland, 2015, p. 27).
- LISTEN to the following Podcast
Childhood food insecurity in the US: Trends, causes, and policy options
3b. Provide THREE reasons of why there are so many children food insecure in the US (you must include data from the podcast in your answer)
3c. How can we reduce child food insecurity?
4a. The following four programs are included in the “Child Nutrition Reauthorization Act (CNR)”
- National School Breakfast and Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)
- Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
4b. What additional program would you add to CNR other than those listed above?
You can create your “ideal” program and include the details of what the new program would encompass.
Here’s some additional background on CNR:
- Child Nutrition Act
- What is the Child Nutrition Act, and Why Should We Care? School food plays a big role in establishing healthy eating habits that can last a lifetime.
TOP ACADEMIC WRITER
He has decades of experience in the education field and has served in the examination boards of some of the top Universities within & outside the United States America.